Quick Home Search

Moments In Time: March 20, 1958 – Covington Pilot Club Chartered

 Newton County Moments In Time 

 

March 20, 1958: Covington Pilot Club Chartered 

 

In late November, 1957, eight business women from Covington met with members of the Monroe Pilot Club to discuss organizing a Pilot Club in Covington.  A few months later, in early 1958, more Pilot Logothan 50 business women of Covington were invited to an organizational meeting, and of that number there were 31 charter members of the Covington Club.

The Pilot Club is an international volunteer service organization working to improve the quality of life in communities around the world.  Its service focus is to promote awareness of brain-related disorders, and helping people affected through volunteer activities, education, financial support, and research.

The Covington Club received its Charter in March, 1958 at a dinner held in the Newton County High School Cafeteria with over 175 Pilots, Co-Pilots, civic leaders, and club presidents attending.  Ruth Parker, the Club’s first President was presented a President’s Pin and gavel by the District Governor and President of the Monroe Club, making the Covington Chapter official.

Since 1958, the Covington Pilot Club has organized various community-supported fundraising projects and made donations of funds and equipment to Pilot scholarships, the Arthritis, Kidney, Heart, Diabetes and Cancer Funds, and to Newton General Hospital.  They also sponsor Anchor Clubs at Alcovy and Newton High Schools, and co-sponsor girls to Georgia Girl’s State.

The Covington chapter of Pilot Club International was chartered on March 20, 1958.  Today – A  Newton County Moment In Time.

 

 

 

 

Print Friendly

Speak Your Mind

*